Thursday, July 14, 2011

Twenty years gone and back again...

Ok...so unlike Odysseus, I haven't been gone for twenty years.  I did, however, go off a-roaming for a while.  My little family spent a week in the mountains of Tennessee "camping."  I use quotation marks because our "camping" trip was spent in my parents RV with beds, a refridgerator, stove, and most importantly...AC!  So while we weren't without some luxuries, we did go for a week without the things that so distract us in our modern world.  No cable television.  No internet.  We did take a few movies with us to fill the time between the boys bath and their bedtime.  But aside from those movies, we spent our time busy as a family with trips to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, days at the campground pool and waterslide, by the creek and trout pond, s'mores and coffee by the campfire.  When the day came for us to leave, Elijah, my oldest, cried.  And it sort of made my heart hurt.  Made me long for days spent tossing rocks into the creek and making simple memories with these boys.  That week did my heart good for a few reasons...

Look at God showing off...

Brothers actually loving each other

We got to do things like this...

...and this...

We got back from our trip just in time to celebrate America's birthday with some friends.  And then one week later, Jason and I celebrated 7 years of marriage.  July 10, 2004, Jason and I made the committment to love, honor, and cherish each other for as long as we both shall live.  And it's been 7 good years...blessed years.

Be patient while my heart skips a beat!  Oh how I love this man...

This past Saturday, we celebrated Elijah's 6th birthday.  He won't be 6 until July 17...but our friend Mindy and her kids are leaving for Texas that weekend (leaving Shawn behind...we'll feed you Shawn!), so we decided to have the party a week early so they could be there.  I'm going to do a whole post on Elijah and his birth story on Sunday.  I'll finish today with my "Thankful Thursday" # 6-10.

6.  America!  To quote Lee Greenwood...I'm proud to be an American.  Thank You, Father, that you blessed me by letting me be a part of this great nation.  Lord, I pray for this country.  Turn the hearts of the people back to you.  Hold off your judgment.  Stay your hand just a bit longer.  I'm praying for revival.  Send your Holy Spirit fire, Lord God.  Let us stand with Israel.  Let us live within our means.  Let us learn the value of hard work and simple faith once again.  I beg of You, Father, start with me.

7.  My parents...I love you Momma and Daddy.  Thank you for everything you do for us. 

8.  Reconciliation...with people here on earth and with the Heavenly Father through the blood of Jesus Christ.

9.Friends...Shawn and Mindy, Ian and Owen.  I'm so thankful that God brought this family into our lives.  We are truly blessed to know them and to love them!

10. Time away from the bustle of my crazy life. Time away from the computer, television, running here and there. Time to witness God's handiwork. Time to see that boys really do love each other (even if they don't act like it most days). Time to fill them up with sugar because there hasn't been time for a nap.  7 years of time that have gone by in a blink, but 7 years of time that have been blessed beyond my wildest dreams.  Simply...time. Precious Lord, may the time be long...amen.




The beginnings of our "Thankful Stars"


No comments:

Post a Comment