Friday, June 24, 2011

My new cookbook...

Is my new favorite cookbook for two reasons...

1.  It was written by the Mennonite women from Montezuma...the Yoders.  And has recipies in it such as Colorado Peach Pie, (which I made today with fresh peaches from Lane, and it is divine) Amish Friendship Cake, and cough syrup.


2.  It has this poem
"My God, I sit beneath Thee,
My little child upon my knee,
My little one looks up to me,
And I look up to Thee."

As I flipped through this cookbook this afternoon looking at all of the wonderful recipies that I can't wait to make for my family,the only page I marked was the page on which this poem appeared...no cake, casserole, or cookie.  That poem caught my attention.  And as I crawled into bed next to each of my precious boys tonight, I was extra careful to drink in their smell.  Snuggle them extra tight.  And simply pray that these boys know how much I love them.  I also whispered a prayer to God that memories of nights like tonight would be enough to last a lifetime.

My God, you have given me these children as an inheritance.  As they climb up in my lap every day, as I gather them close, may I remember that I should be in your lap every day as well.  Father, as they look to me, may they see You in me.  May they see You changing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment