Sunday, July 31, 2011

New beginnings, new babies

A new school year.  I've never not been in school; I've always been either a student or a teacher.  I refer to a year in terms of August to May.  I've ALWAYS loved the start of a new school year...even as a student.  And...really...even though I may complain about going back to work tomorrow, I am so very excited about the possibilities of the new year that lies ahead of me.

My mind has been turning all day long; running through ideas for the first few days of school.  This is the beginning of my seventh year of teaching, and I'll admit to having butterflies in my stomach tonight.  Questions swirl in my head.  What will my new students be like?  How big will my classes be?  And the ever important...What am I going to wear tomorrow?

As I prepare my heart and mind and my classroom for a new batch of babies (because even in high school, they're still babies), I'm reminded of all new beginnings in life.  We always prepare ourselves for new beginnings.  I mean, we wouldn't bring a new baby home from the hospital without at least some preparations of our homes.  Most of us don't even begin a new day without strengthening our bodies the night before with a good night's sleep.  I have not gone without preparing my classroom for those precious students that will walk through my door tomorrow.  So my question (to myself) is; is my heart prepared for what God wants to do in and through me this year (August to May and beyond)? 

Father, I pray, as this new year begins...please use me.  Make me a minister within the walls of my classroom.  A minister of encouragement, peace, healing...that we may all say at the end of the year, "To God be the glory, great things he has done."

No comments:

Post a Comment